BBQ pork, Roast pork, Roast duck, Soy sauce chicken are familiar sights in Chinese restaurants and in larger supermarkets. There are also numerous BBQ speciality shops as well and while all the gleaming roasted meats and birds on display may turn some away, the delicious aroma will definitely draw most people in.
While we usually buy our BBQ meat, mom sometimes get into a cooking mood and this is one of those times!
-1 slab of pork belly (or two if you're hungry)
-5 spice, salt, sugar, soy sauce
1. Scrub the pork belly clean and pat dry with paper towel.
2. Rub a bit of soy sauce over the meat side of the pork belly. Then repeat witha mixture of 5-spice, salt and sugar. Leave the skin free of spice or soy sauce.
4. When the pork skin is hard and dry to the touch, it is ready for roasting. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Set pork belly skin-side down on a roasting rack...Do not let it sit in it's own juice or else the skin will not crackle.
6. Flip over so it is skin-side up and broil for 10 minutes. Again, check regularly to prevent burning. The pork skin will turn to crackle.
7. Remove from heat and using a knife and fork, make a cut to check if meat is cut through. If not, flip pork belly onto side and roast for another 5-10 minutes. Do not put skin-side down anymore to ensure the skin crackle does not spoil.
8. Remove from heat and let cool completely before cutting and serving with mustard or Hoisin sweet sauce.